Saturday, November 14, 2015
Urbanite archers had a great time at the Cooke County indoor archery tournament on Saturday in Gainsville.
Jefferson C. 1st place Intermediate Barebow
Eamon S. 1st place Senior Barebow
McKenzie S. 3rd place Senior Barebow
Michael A. 4th place Senior Compound Aided
Posted by Dallas County 4-H at 12:12 PM
Sunday, November 8, 2015
Members of the Greek Cowboys of Coppell 4H club participated in this past Sunday's Food Challenge workshop. The worked with other Dallas County 4Hers to create a chicken, vegetable, rice and tomato sauce dish. The members were bummed that they could not try some of their creation due to food safety concerns. They are excited to possibly enter the county food challenge to be held later this 4H year.
Posted by Dallas County 4-H at 11:43 AM
Saturday, November 7, 2015
Members of the Greek Cowboys of Coppell 4H Club participated in the BEC Community Planting Day at the Biodiversity Education Center in Coppell Texas. Members planted native prairie grass plugs on the black-land prairie restoration plot and spread mulch in the new rain garden/butterfly garden beds around the BEC. A great day was had by all!
Posted by Dallas County 4-H at 11:40 AM
Monday, October 12, 2015
The Greek Cowboys of Coppell assisted Helping Hands Coppell Community Gardeners harvest sweet potatoes as well as sand and seal the wood handles of 3 wheelbarrows for our One Day 4H community service project. The kids harvested over 100 pounds of sweet potatoes and even reconditioned the soil for the next planting. The gardeners were very grateful for their refurbished wheelbarrow handles too!
Posted by Dallas County 4-H at 8:25 AM
Saturday, October 10, 2015
In honor of the Texas A&M Forest Service and their 100th anniversary, 4-H was pleased to plant this Bur Oak as a gift to the citizens of Dallas County at Dallas Heritage Village during Texas 4-H statewide day of community service - One Day 4-H October 11, 2015.
4-H'ers followed up the tree planting with a day of raking, cleaning and weeding at Dallas Heritage Village.
We hope you will go by and visit Dallas Heritage Village and see our tree, learn about the history of our city and enjoy this wonderful city park.
Posted by Dallas County 4-H at 11:51 AM
Tuesday, September 15, 2015
Tuesday, August 11, 2015
Tuesday, January 13, 2015
Zookeeper, Christina Eastwood is welcoming our Dallas County 4-H members to come help work behind the scenes making enrichment toys for the animals at the Dallas Zoo on Saturday, January 17th.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Zookeeper Eastwood informed me of a few changes. She has received approval for us to work behind the scenes in a DIFFERENT part of the zoo. YEAH! However, that being said the new area will not have restrooms or water access. She is planning to make a bathroom stop before heading to the work area and before starting the tour. All attendees must bring adequate water with them for the duration of the event.
Arrival time is 11:45 am. This will be on a come, first serve basis, so if you would like to attend do not wait to e-mail Tamra at email@example.com . Volunteer forms and parking instructions and passes will be emailed on Friday to registered families.
The final R.S.V.P. day will be Friday, January 16th!
Also, if you have not order a 4-H Zoo t-shirt yet, there is still time. We need more orders to get the cost down. Cost: $13 each
Posted by Dallas County 4-H at 7:59 PM
Monday, January 12, 2015
The Dallas County 4-H Council will host a dinner fundraiser on Sun. Feb. 15th at the Dallas County AgriLife Extension Office. The Valentine’s Lucky Heart Café will be open for one night only. This fundraiser will specifically assist 4-H members planning to attend State 4-H Round-up in College Station, Texas.
Any 4-H member age 11 and up, that is planning to attend Round-up, can come help with this event. Help needs:
· Set up /Clean-up – arrive by 1 p.m.
· Food prep – arrive by 1 p.m.
· Servers – arrive by 4:30 p.m.
· Hostesses – arrive by 4:30 p.m.
· Entertainment (musical, singing) – arrive by 4:30 p.m.
We will only accept 20 reservations per seating. The meal will be at least four courses (salad, appetizer, main dish, and dessert). Final reservations will be Fri. Feb 13th, so please share this soon.
If you know of a company/organization willing to donation food or decorations, please let Dr. McGaughy know.
Posted by Dallas County 4-H at 2:19 PM
Thursday, January 8, 2015
Mark your calendars now for the 2015 Texas 4-H Roundup
June 8-11, 2015
Posted by Dallas County 4-H at 10:41 AM
The Texas Extension Education Association is a long-time supporter to the youth of the Texas 4-H Program. One of many ways this organization shows their support annually is through District TEEA 4-H scholarships. Each district awards a state level scholarship to a deserving 4-H member (female OR male) annually for their work and successes in 4-H and some districts may award additional district level scholarships to 4-H members. Each of the statewide scholarships are $1,000 in value (paid out $500 in Fall and $500 in Spring).
All senior high school 4-H members may apply for the scholarship, if they meet the below eligibility requirements
- Be a United States citizen.
- Be currently an active senior 4-H member in good standing with county 4-H program for the last four (4) years.
- Demonstrate leadership and personal development through 4-H.
- Will attend an accredited institution of higher learning: university, community college, trade or technical school in fall following judging.
- Have not passed 19th birthday before January 1 of current year.
- Have not previously received a State TEEA scholarship.
- Complete a Texas 4-H Recordbook (updated through previous year’s Texas 4-H Recordbook judging deadline).
- Complete TEEA 4-H Scholarship Application and provide other required materials.
The process for submitting TEEA scholarship applications does include the COUNTY EXTENSION OFFICE and/or AGENT in the process. The recommended judging/submission process to follow is:
- COUNTY LEVEL: The AgriLife Extension office receives copy of the completed application, transcript, recommendation letters, and Texas 4-H Recordbook by February 15th. Applications from qualifying 4-H’ers in every county in the District are eligible, regardless of there being a TEEA or not in the county.
- COUNTY LEVEL: The Extension agent works with the County TEEA Chair to establish an impartial selection committee familiar with 4-H work and Texas 4-H Recordbook judging to select a county winner.
- COUNTY LEVEL: If multiple Recordbooks are submitted in a county with no TEEA clubs, the Extension agent works within that county or neighboring county to establish an impartial selection committee familiar with 4-H work and Texas 4-H Recordbook judging to select a county winner.
- COUNTY LEVEL: The winning county TEEA 4-H Scholarship Application packet and Texas 4-H Recordbook are forwarded to the District TEEA Director by March 1st.
- DISTRICT TEEA LEVEL: The TEEA District Director will appoint an impartial selection committee familiar with 4-H work and Texas 4-H Recordbook judging comprised of TEEA members and/or county AgriLife Extension agents. This committee will review applications based on judging criteria to select the district scholarship recipients. The judging may be done by another district.
- DISTRICT TEEA LEVEL: District TEEA Directors send a copy of the winner’s personal information page from the Texas 4-H Recordbook and a copy of the TEEA 4-H Scholarship Application to the State TEEA President, State TEEA Treasurer, and Dr. Toby Lepley (State 4-H office) by May 15th.
- DISTRICT TEEA LEVEL: State winners are announced at each district’s TEEA Spring Conference and are recognized at 4-H Roundup.
Deadlines for Applicants and County Extension Offices:
Deadline for 4-H MEMBER to submit application to the County Extension Office is: February 15, 2015.
Deadline for COUNTY OFFICE to submit application(s) to District TEEA Director is: March 1, 2015
Attached is a list of the District TEEA Directors, as well as a list of the District TEEA Agent Advisors. If you have any questions about the scholarship please contact one of your district contacts. Additionally, I have attached the scholarship application the 4-H member will need to complete and submit with the other required application materials (b&w copy of record book, official high school transcript with ACT or SAT scores included, two letters of recommendation)
Please help us in promoting this great opportunity for ALL of our 4-H members regardless if you have TEEA clubs in your county or not. If you have any questions please feel free to contact your District TEEA Director or Agent Advisor.
Toby L. Lepley, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Assistant State
4-H Leader – Operations
Texas 4-H Youth Development Program
Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service
4180 State Hwy 6 S
College Station, TX 77845
Posted by Dallas County 4-H at 10:29 AM